Saturday, January 2, 2010

Pass It On

So...gave this recipe out twice in the last two weeks and promised it to another gal this evening so, the universe was talking to me. Thought I would share with everyone. I tore this out of a crock pot book? over 15 years ago or I would give credit. Pass it on.

This is a crock pot recipe - for you locals, Smiths has chuck roast on sale right now, which is why we had this for dinner. Today the meat was $7.00 for two thin chuck roasts and the noodles around $2.00. Microwaved some butternut squash with butter and cinnamon and Viola! Generous dinner for three for around $10.00 and at least two more leftover meals.

The meat will be falling apart, with lots of terrific sauce to spoon over noodles. If you wish gravy for potatoes instead of noodles, do the milk/flour trick.

Spicy Wine Pot Roast

3-4 lb beef pot roast -For this I prefer chuck roast
salt and pepper
1 small red onion chopped
1 package brown gravy mix - I use Mc Cormicks
1 cup water
1/4 cup ketchup
1/4 cup dry red wine
2 tsp Dijon mustard
1 tsp Worcestershire sauce
1/8 tsp garlic powder

Sprinkle meat with salt and pepper- place in crock pot. Combine remaining ingredients- pour over meat. Cover and cook on low 8-10 hours. I serve over buttered noodles (we like the pappardele from Trader Joes) How simple is that!

I will be announcing the next Gathering (for Valentines Day) later this week, it will be February 6th - there are 8 spaces. that's all I can tell you for now. Locals who are on my email list will receive the blog update notice, as soon as I know the details.

2 comments:

Sarah said...

This was delicious! It fed everyone two complete meals and could not have been more tender. I better be careful or people will start to think I can cook......

June said...

Okay Suzan, how did you know the hubs was asking for more meat in his meals?! This will make him a very happy guy for sure. I'm sure I will love it as much as he will! Thank you so much for sharing it and I will let you know how it goes. I think my son-in-law the butcher can hook me up with some beef. Boy does he ever come in handy sometimes.
hugs