Tuesday, February 23, 2010

A wee bit of Soap Boxing

***oldgreymare design and organizing services will be on sale for the month of March. All work must begin, but not necessarily be completed, in the month of March. Please call or email. Great time for Spring Cleaning and cheap! cheap! OK- HORRIBLE pun!
**********
Now:
Something disturbing has occurred twice in the past two days and I am driven to discuss it regardless of opinion.

Yesterday I was warned by another blogger that I should not discuss the health care issue on my blog or "you could get trashed on here. Just wanted you to be careful." I addressed privately back to this blogger and it shall remain private. Because we both participate in a blog party, I suppose she believed that determined what the content of my blog should be, though I am confidant our host holds no such criteria.

Then, this morning I read on Tongue in Cheek, that Corey has been told to "lighten up" and not talk about depressing things on her blog. Her friend, who was very recently widowed, is visiting, and of course sadness and sorrow are surrounding them.

A reader chooses to visit a blog and can just as easily choose not to visit.

A blog, at it's very core, is personal. Although out there in the public, it is not a giant billboard unable to avoid. We all hold fast to our own beliefs and core values and shouldn't we as travelers down this super highway, have the decency to respect that? We have the right to comment or not, hopefully in a respectful manner, but no one should EVER feel they have the right to dictate to someone else what content they should have on their blog. Your only right is to click delete and visit no more!

I have tremendous faith in the women that I share blog parties with and whose blogs I visit. I believe we came together with a shared love of design, gardens, food and family. I do not believe we are simple window dressings who have limits to the extent our minds and hearts can expand; or that we are not intelligent enough to consider the ramifications of politics, religious issues, racism, bigotry, and our environment, to name but a few.

You may be a great gardener and also an animal rights activist. You may be a beader and a militant liberal. MY point is SO WHAT?

I refuse to be placed into a virtual blog box that dictates what format I may use, and I am confidant that most of the really bright, intelligent women I have had the occasion to meet here in blogdom agree with me. They may choose to limit their content, but that is exactly my point, and let me drive it on home.
It is p e r s o n a l and their choice.

I am not one of these gals whose goal it is to get as many followers as possible. I have real connections with most of my followers outside blogdom. Real friendships made right here, real connections to the most wonderful women. I care about them, and they have shown such love and kindness to me. That is the goodness and the miracle of blogs between women.

I will not apologize for this detour from my routine posts, it is far too important to me. I hope you all agree. If not, exercise your right.

Now, I am heading out to the garage to paint a lovely chest white, because .....
I choose to!

See you tomorrow for WW, well, if I get it finished :-)

Suzan

11 comments:

erin's art and gardens said...

yes, yes, yes! choices! they are your own and we are lucky to have them. choices, that is. you go girl! the true beauty of blogland is, it is your own, and you can say anything you want to. hey, a "soap box" would be cute painted white too.....

Crystal Martin said...

I agree...it is my choice to blog about what I want, no has to read it, no one has to stay and visit, comment, etc. I don't think your post should have warranted such remarks. You simple asked other to voice 'their' opionion...you didn't give them yours. You keep doing what your doing.

oldgreymare said...

Means so much to me.....
Thanks guys!

Suzan

Carole said...

I couldn't agree more. What's the sense of a blog if you can't be yourself and speak your mind.

....opps just got delayed there for 30 minutes on the phone.

hope the painting goes well!!
xo...Carole

Victoria said...

Lovely post..well said! Keep shining !
Kiki~

Rose ~Victorian Rose ~ said...

Suzan....AMEN...and AMEN !!
Good for you ...that is one of the MAIN reasons I started (my own) blog as well...I was tired of being told what I could and could not say or post...so many silly rules...made up by the person who "owned" the Yahoo site...or whatever.

Not that I necessarily post things now that... I could or would not before..it is just that I have a GOD GIVEN right to do so....if I wish.

I live in AMERICA after all.

Just joined your blog.

Rose

oldgreymare said...

Again, thank you for your comments. I appreciate every one.

Suzan

Anonymous said...

I love this post! I don't understand why anyone would dictate to another what they should or shouldn't discuss on a personal blog....that's just crazy! A blog is a diary of our lives...good or bad and as you said others can chose to move along if they don't like what they see.

Queen Of The Armchair aka Dzintra Stitcheries said...

I agree fully...once I was worried about what people would think of what I said...and my Daughter said...it's your blog Mum!!! So that said it all to me...

Boxwood Cottage said...

Very well said Suzan!
Long live the freedom of speech!!!

Cindi said...

Anyone who would trash you for sharing your thoughts in your space -- well, their behavior speaks for them, not you. Your keen, quick mind is one of the things we love most about you, dear Z.