Monday, January 31, 2011

Project Genesis 2/1/2011

Welcome Back


We took 2 months off to allow us to
 celebrate the holidays with Gusto.
Now we have to get focused back on 
doing our part to change the planet. 

This year I'm starting off with something 
easy and simple to do but it will have guaranteed impact.
My chosen word for 2011 is BEGIN,
and I have begun a new goal.


I never spend my change, or use it to pay. 
Even if the bill is $5.01, I give them the $6.00.
I save it all in this tin, and in the past 
few years used it to take DD to a Shakespeare festival.
This year I've decided to save it and donate to

My dad was a lifetime member


For every $10.00 donation they are able to save
2,500 square feet of rain forest.
I usually save over $200.00 a year in change, so the possibility of my impacting 50,000 square feet is 
my goal for 2011.

I have my annual charity contributions for
St Judes
Habitiat for Humanity 
Heifer International 
KNPR 
Goodwill
 Safe Nest
NRDC
and now the Arbor Day Foundation.
(Shakespeare will forgive us)

Whether your contribution alters 
the environment, a person's life,  
searches for medical cures or rescues
an animal it has impact.

Lest you think I live a cushy life...ah, no...
I do aim for 10% of my income
annually and most years I make it.
ANY amount multiplied by 
hundreds, thousands of others,
IMPACTS.

So get educated, find a group(s) you believe in,
and routinely donate. Lest we forget, 
 volunteer your time to these groups, just as valuable.
IMPACT OUR WORLD

See the Rules to participate if new to PG:
(no self promotion, link directly to your 
PG post not just to your blog, etc)

C'mon we would love to have you join us!


BTW- all the Valentine Necklaces have been sold- thank you!

14 comments:

Colleen - the AmAzINg Mrs. B said...

What a wonderful thing to do! Yes, if everyone did just a little..it would add up to a LOT! So thank you from my great-great-great grandkiddos that may now have a rain forrest to see!

Beatnheart said...

Anything that prevents animal cruelty and helps pass on the word of spaying and neutering...bless you sweetie!

Charlene said...

I would say you have begun a good thing for 2011. HUGS!
Charlene

Candylei said...

Wonderful! We have one of those tins, too.

Candylei

Razmataz said...

Your 10% is a generous and admirable contribution Suzan.!

Char said...

my dad saved all his coins and did this too - he gave to hospice every year.

June said...

Hi Z,
I too believe strongly in giving as much as we are able to causes we believe in. We can make a huge impact with just little. As much as we can give, to either ease someone's burden or find someone a cure. Great post as always my friend!!!
Your darling son's birthday post was so sweet. Now that's a darling little boy if I ever saw one!!!
hugs to you from here...

the old white house said...

Z ~ That is a great idea, every time I try to stash the extra jingly cash the kids dig it out for craziness like lunch money ;) have a great night! theresa xoxo

Sue said...

I think this is really a wonderful thing to do. You inspire us.

erin's art and gardens said...

uh oh.......i completely forgot about genesis....sorry, sweety. is it february??!! january, where have you gone?

good idea to save change! i rarely give coins for pay anymore and stick them in a jar.....no telling how much is in there? i'll look into donating. thanks, dahling.

Tanya said...

I'm playing along this year! Happy Groundhog Day, Z - let's try and change things up! Tanya

Alicia@ eco friendly homemaking said...

Theresa sent me the link to your blog and I am so glad that she did.
This is a great post and I really like the hearts in the other post.Look so forward to reading more.

marcia said...

Very generous and inspiring!

Trying to play ctach up with you this week!
happy day!

Karen said...

I love your ideas with the Genesis Project. So inspired. If everyone would just do something, no matter how small, they too could impact the world for good. I'm a firm believer in recycling and am always looking for more ideas on how to conserve, reuse, repurpose, and save.
Keep on with your great ideas.
Best wishes to you.
Karen