Tuesday, August 4, 2015

Hot August Days and Nights



Oh, those hot August days...
so much going on..

Had workmen here all day Sunday
 as they ripped out
and sawed down 21 year old
trees to make life easier.
My enormous African Sumac 
in the far corner had to come down,
as well as decrepit, way past their prime,
 bottle brush trees that lined the walkway.


Javier cut stump for me with foot rest

The Sumac was always too big for the area, 
invaded into neighbor yards and created 
so much debris that at least three times a year I 
had to pay for help in clean up.
I was dangling from tall ladders
cleaning out gutters,
making friends and kids frantic with worry.
(Ok I only fell once ...geez)

totally new updated sprinklers,
new plantings...
new dog run area..
pre-plans for vegetable gardens
Whew!

The yard looks foreign to me 
right now. Far less shade,
less cozy.
I'm working on it.
But as we age we have to come
 to terms with our capabilities.

I was astounded when my folks moved 
down to a wee space when we had always had
sprawling homes with lots of land.
I get it now.


made a fountain

Finished all the prep for the next Gathering class.
Kits ready and waiting, very early this time, because 
I am sooo excited for this one.


Marking items down at boutique
to make room for new holidays to come.
job interviews.. new directions
Proofing latest script for DD
Kids are thriving with
exciting projects, possibilities.
A surprise visit from my "surrogate son"
Ivan, made for wonderful long chats as the sun 
went down last week.

Making smoothies
has been the extent of my cooking 
this summer.

Cannot wait for cool weather
soups stews casseroles.

I am such a cold weather gal,
stuck in 
the wrong place for a long time....

Z





8 comments:

jinxxxygirl said...

I totally understand being a cold weather gal living in the wrong place for most of my adult life... sigh... I finally found the place i was meant to live but i dare say i'm too old to make that happen now... The Northwestern US coast is the PERFECT place for people like us...:) Oh well .. my daughter lives there now.. maybe i can visit. :) Hugs! deb

www.MaisonStGermain.com said...

My gosh you need a vacation, missy:)
Looks like a fun class.
~Debra xxx
Capers of the vintage vixens

Jillayne said...

I'm a cold weather gal myself - heat sucks the life out of me, and we don't have it near the same as you...
I'm glad you made the changes that will make things easier for you - we're on about that kind of stuff as well. I'm on a major clear out right now - hubby's always said if we have the room for it, we should just keep it - I went along with that for a few years but now am being pretty ruthless. If I don't love it, I ain't keeping it. Holding on to things is a misguided obligation to not wasting anything. I think the important thing is to not blindly add more in...
Glad you and yours are doing alright!

Kathy said...

Oh yes, everything we do now seems to be about easy maintenance. So happy to hear you are not on those ladders anymore!

Blondie's Journal said...

Always a great joy to see progress on the pressing things in life---seem small but are big in one's life.

The more I blog the more I learn about the geographical elements in the lives of my blogger friends. Your spring is my fall and vice versa. I hope fall comes soon to you.

Jane x

Jacqueline @ HOME said...

You need to come and live in the UK Z !!!! Nice and cool here but the Summers are warm.
It's so funny how we all eventually become our parents isn't it ?
…… and, be careful, up those ladders !!! XXXX

Jill said...

ooohhh...I love that fountain!

Joy Junktion said...

I'm not sure what your Gathering class is, but that photo of great stuff tells me you are going to have fun!! It's been crazy hot here in Phoenix too, but I guess you just get used to it and live at night! Enjoy your upcoming weekend! Blessings, Cindy